How far will the Left go to trash Sarah Palin? It’s an obsession, a Palin Obsession, with the Liberal/Left Democrats. Here we have childhood pictures of Palin with her family celebrating Christmas. There was no political message here from Palin. Yet the Left has to turn a family holiday time into something evil. Now if that was Barrack & Michelle and the girls gathered around their Christmas tree, that would be different. But because it is Palin the Left must out her and do so by quoting a book that many don’t even believe in.
The biblical scripture used was from Jeremiah, written long before Jesus was born, long before there was Christianity, long before there were Christmas trees. So how could this prophet be writing about something that did not yet exist?
And he wasn’t according to authorities.
As Grace Communion International points out, nothing can be further from the truth:
An important key to understanding any passage is to pay careful attention to its context. Verses 2 through 4 of Jeremiah 10 are part of a larger context. That larger context is verses 1 through 16. In these verses Jeremiah proclaims the Lord as the only God. “No one is like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power. Who should not revere you, O King of the nations? This is your due…. The Lord is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King…. God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding” (verses 6-7, 10, 12, NIV).
The gods that pagans worship are nothing compared to the Lord. “These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens” (verse 11). They are mere images made by men and women. “Every goldsmith is shamed by his idols. His images are a fraud; they have no breath in them. They are worthless, the objects of mockery” (verses 14-15).
Gold is not the only substance used to make idols. Verses 8 and 9 speak of “worthless wooden idols” on which workmen place hammered silver and gold, and rich apparel. When we consider that these verses condemn idolatry, we can understand what Jeremiah meant when he said “the customs of the peoples are worthless” (verse 3). No wonder he tells us not to “learn the way of the nations” (verse 2). […]
Jeremiah is not condemning Christmas trees. He is condemning idolatry. The trees in Jeremiah 10 are cut down to carve them into worthless idols that will later be decorated with gold and silver. Jeremiah says nothing about Christmas trees. That custom originated in northern Europe, not in ancient Judea.
Not surprisingly, BillyGraham.org confirms this:
These verses, however, do not apply to Christmas trees, but they do condemn the idolatry practiced in Jeremiah’s day. God’s people were following the customs of the heathen who cut down trees, shaped the wood into idols, decorated them with silver and gold ornaments, and worshiped them as gods.
Somehow I doubt this will deter the Christmas and Palin haters from cherry-picking lines out of the Bible to castigate their enemies.
MSNBC’s Reid Bashes Palin for Having a Christmas Tree…on Christmas!
By Noel Sheppard
Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/12/26/msnbc-s-reid-scolds-palin-having-christmas-treeon-christmas#ixzz2p0DjyEfP
- MSNBC: So Stupid That They Say Sarah Palin’s Christmas Trees Are ‘Un-Christian’ (wizbangblog.com)
- MSNBC Host Blasts Palin for Displaying Christmas Tree on Christmas (breitbart.com)
- MSNBC host blasts Sarah Palin for displaying Christmas tree – on Christmas (bizpacreview.com)
- Confirmed: MSNBC pretty darned ignorant about Christianity and Scripture (hotair.com)
- Liberal Attacks Sarah Palin for Having a Christmas Tree in Her Home (godfatherpolitics.com)
- Sarah Palin Mocked on MSNBC for Having a Christmas Tree – on Christmas! (ijreview.com)
- Jeremiah Chapter 10 And Your Christmas Tree (carolinacowboy.wordpress.com)
- MSNBC’s Joy Reid Goes After Sarah Palin for Having a Christmas Tree (mediaite.com)
- MSNBC tries to use the Bible to bash Sarah Palin for having a Christmas tree for Christmas… (therightscoop.com)
- MSNBC Attacks Palin and Breaks a New Hitting Streak (iowntheworld.com)